With Hurricane Harvey looming, it’s important to discuss some key safety tips to help you protect your commercial business. Heavy rains and winds can do major damage to a roof, especially if you haven’t been keeping up with maintenance. To help prepare for the worst, let’s go over some hurricane preparedness tips! These tips also apply for any major storm warnings.
Before the storm:
- It’s smart to take photos prior to the storm, they could help with insurance claims.
- Clear out drainage points to avoid water pooling on your roof as much as possible.
- Remove any loose objects or materials and make sure all A/C units and equipment on the roof are secured.
- Check flashings, seams to make sure they are secure
- Talk to a trusted roofing company beforehand
- Take photos again, especially of any damage.
- Call your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Beware of unknown general contractors
After a big storm it is tempting to trust a contractor to fix your damages for cheap, or to try to make repairs by yourself. However, you could be hurting your business more by trying one of these routes. An untrustworthy contractor can rip you off or do a poor job repairing your roof, leaving you more vulnerable than before. Trying to fix it yourself or apply temporary seals could also cause more damage and affect your insurance payout.
Handling a big storm or hurricane is stressful. And it might take some time to get your roof repaired correctly. The best thing you can do for your business is be prepared ahead of time, keep up on maintenance and stick with reputable roofing companies.
Earnest Roofing understands that navigating an insurance claim can be frustrating and confusing, but it doesn’t have to be that way. We work directly with insurance companies across the Hill Country and would love to help take that pain out of your neck. We can give you the inside track and in many cases, take the full weight off your shoulders.
The best preparation for a hurricane or big storm is to keep us on speed dial and set up an appointment as soon as possible!